How to freeze strawberries for the winter in the refrigerator?
Strawberries are a very healthy and tasty berry. In the summer, it is not a problem to feast on it. But in the winter its price rises sharply, and finding a sale is problematic. Therefore, we bring to your attention the most popular options for freezing these berries.
Can strawberries be frozen
Freezing maximally preserves all the beneficial properties of many fruits. Strawberries have a delicate structure and are capricious in freezing.
Important! Strawberries must not be re-frozen; therefore, they should be laid out portionwise in a container for freezing.
Therefore, to conduct this process, it is necessary to correctly adhere to the following recommendations:
- Berries must be selected ripe, but not overripe, of a sufficiently dense structure so that after thawing they do not turn into a sour milk.
- Fruits should be of small parameters, so they are better frozen in the freezer.
- Previously, the berries need to be sorted out (discarded, crushed, rotten, damaged), washed and dried, laid out on a tray in one layer.
- If this product is taken from your own garden, then the collection is best done in dry weather in the morning or in the evening. Then the fruits will be denser and slightly watery.
- Pedicels, if the berries are completely frozen, can not be removed. With them, the fruits do not let juice out so quickly.
- For this procedure, plastic containers or plastic bags are used. They must be clean, dry and without any smell.
Ways to freeze strawberries
There are different methods for freezing berries, so that everyone can get acquainted and choose the most suitable one.
The easiest way, which does not require much labor, is to freeze whole fruits using dry freezing. Prepared berries (washed and dried) are placed on a tray or cling film and placed in the freezer for 1.5–2 hours. Then the frozen fruit is carefully placed in a plastic container in 2-3 layers with tails up, covered with a lid and sent back to the refrigerator.
Video: how to freeze strawberries
For freezing in syrup, you can take, as a whole, small-sized strawberries, or cut into halves. First of all, you need to make syrup. To do this, 1 cup of sugar is diluted with 1 liter of water in a saucepan and put on fire. When the liquid has the desired viscosity, the pan is set aside and the contents cool. Prepared berries are placed in a container in 1-2 layers, and then pour in the cooled syrup.
Did you know? Strawberries contain substances that prolong youth, have a good effect on the skin and whiten teeth. In addition, this berry contains only 33 kcal / 100 g and does not spoil the figure.
Then they put everything in the freezer. To save space in the freezer, a plastic bag is placed in the container first. Then carry out the described procedure.When the contents freeze well, the bag is removed from the container, tied well and placed in the freezer. Such a briquette will take up much less space.
Strawberries can be frozen with sugar. In this case, the stalk is removed. Approximately 300 g of sugar is consumed per kg. If desired, granulated sugar can be crushed into powder on a coffee grinder. Fruits are placed in a plastic bowl and sprinkled with sugar.
Then put on a shelf in the refrigerator at a temperature above 0 ° C. When the berries give juice, they are moved together with sugar in a storage container (containers). Be sure to pour the juice there.
Video: the best way to freeze strawberries
In the form of mashed potatoes
Any berries are suitable for freezing in the form of mashed potatoes. You can take the fruits taken, with mechanical damage, but you can not use rotten specimens. This will cause a fermentation process.
Did you know? For an adult, if there is no allergy and contraindications, up to 500 g of strawberries can be eaten per day.
To chop strawberries, it is better to take a blender. Sugar can be put to taste immediately and placed in a container for freezing. Another option would be to freeze puree only without adding sugar. It is thrown in mashed potatoes only during defrosting.
Video: Strawberry Freeze
Strawberries can be frozen in ice tins. They can be laid out berries and add water to the voids. After that, the cubes are removed and moved into a bag made of polyethylene or a container. Such strawberry ice is used to make cocktails or drinks.
To freeze strawberries for the winter, you must perform the following steps:
- Collect a bowl of cool water and place 2 kg of berries in it. After a while, sand and dirt will lag behind and settle to the bottom.
- Remove the fruit from the water and remove the stalk.
- Inspect each berry and discard specimens with damage, the presence of dark spots and signs of rot.
- On a paper towel laid out on a tray, distribute the washed and selected samples for freezing;
- When the fruits are dry, place them with the tray in the freezer.
- After 15-24 hours, remove the tray from the freezer and move the iced berries weighing 200-300 g into a bag made of polyethylene for freezing.
- The bags are hermetically sealed and moved to a freezer in a permanent place for storage.
Important! On a tray, strawberries should be placed so as not to touch each other in one layer. This will allow her not to become one solid mass during freezing.
Frozen strawberries at a temperature of -18 ° C are stored for up to 6 months. When sugar is added, the shelf life is extended to 12 months.Frozen strawberries perfectly retain their useful and palatability, so you can enjoy this juicy berry throughout the winter period. It will make delicious cocktails, desserts, and baking toppings.