TOP-12 of the best varieties of strawberries in the Krasnodar Territory and their description
Strawberries are one of the most popular berries among children and adults. It is consumed fresh, canned and dried. Many gardeners are constantly in search of varieties that can demonstrate maximum yield in a particular region. The article will focus on the best varieties of strawberries for the Krasnodar Territory.
Varieties of strawberries for the Krasnodar Territory
The climatic conditions of this region allow strawberries to be grown from late April to almost early July. Therefore, it is important to know which varieties begin to bear fruit earlier, and when the late berry ripens, allowing you to extend the season of vitamins for a longer period.
- The advantages of this category of strawberries include:
- early ripening - the first crops may appear already in mid-May;
- prolonged bearing - 3-4 weeks;
- self-pollination ability;
- high frost resistance;
- strong immunity;
- excellent taste: even despite the lack of light and heat, the berries ripen juicy and sweet.
On sale there are early varieties for every taste, among which the following are distinguished.
Did you know? 100 g of strawberries contain 98% of the daily value of vitamin C.
This variety was not bred in Asian countries, as one might think from the name, but in Italy. Initially, breeders bred it for industrial cultivation, but over time it spread to garden areas. Asia is characterized by a strong root system, frost resistance and high resistance to disease.
- Also, among the advantages of this strawberry can be noted:
- fruit size (up to 30-40 g);
- their conical shape and bright red color. Such an attractive appearance contributes to high sales in Asia;
- the sweet taste of berries with a pleasant strawberry aroma;
Bushes of Asia have a nondescript appearance: berries cover with wrinkled wide leaves and thick shoots of dark green color.
Breeders and experienced gardeners recognize the Kimberly variety by its powerful, albeit small, shrubs formed from medium-sized round leaves. They have strong peduncles, practically not bending under the weight of large berries, capable of reaching a mass of 40-50 g each.
Kimberly’s sweet pulp tastes like caramel, for which children are especially fond of it. Excellent taste, high productivity (up to 2 kg per bush) and transportability are qualities that contribute to the cultivation of varieties for sale.
Unlike many early strawberry species, Kimberly needs plenty of sunshine and prefers to grow in flat areas. In such conditions, the bushes are filled with power and are practically not susceptible to diseases and pests.
This variety was created by breeders from Denmark. It grows well in partial shade, and begins to bear fruit already in mid-May, under favorable weather conditions. Gardeners love this strawberry for large (up to 50-60 g) berries, the size of which does not fade until the end of fruiting.
The fruits ripen at about the same time and have a rich taste and a mild fruity aroma. The pluses of Zephyr include high productivity - up to 1 kg per bush and frost resistance (up to -35 ° С).
Important! However, the susceptibility of the variety to cold directly depends on the presence of snow. Without snow cover, fragile plants freeze already at -8 ° C.
Varieties of medium ripening
A huge number of varieties with an average ripening period. Therefore, it is so difficult for gardeners to choose suitable species from the available variety. For such cases, the following recommendations are intended.
Despite the fact that Marshall was registered as a variety back in 1890 in the United States, it still does not lose its popularity due to its significant productivity and frost resistance.
The characteristics of this strawberry include:
- large bush with the main thick stem and erect peduncles;
- fruiting in early June;
- productivity: 1-1.5 kg per bush (the highest productivity of the variety is observed in the 1st year);
- berries weight - 45-75 g;
- juicy pulp suitable for freezing and processing;
- ease of dilution, thanks to the active growth of the antennae;
- frost resistance - up to -30 ° С.
Marshal bushes bear fruit on average up to 6 years, but it is recommended to rejuvenate the plantings earlier.
Did you know? Strawberries can be enjoyed in diabetes, because it has one feature: despite the sweet taste, the berry helps lower blood sugar.
Unlike Marshall, Vima Zanta is only gaining popularity; it was created on the basis of the varieties Elsanta and Korona.
Thanks to this, the new variety has gained impressive characteristics:
- large spherical berries;
- rich taste, which has no analogues even among elite varieties;
- juicy sugary pulp;
- high immunity;
- active formation of antennae on bushes.
Vima Zant grows in strong bushes with leaves - "boats", from each of which they collect, on average, 600-800 g per season.
Important! The variety does not tolerate transportation. Berries retain their qualities only if there is a suitable container and an appropriate storage temperature.
A very common Italian strawberry variety The black prince does not possess any outstanding qualities, but is notable for easy cultivation. He has a high sparse bush with a strong, but not plentifully growing mustache. On average, he gives up to 700 g of berries per season, while transplanting is required no more than once every 4 years.
Fruits are medium in size, weighing up to 25 g, with a dark red color and conical shape. Inside the fruit is a juicy sweet pulp with a light strawberry aroma. The Black Prince is well kept and transported.
Later varieties extend the season of fresh strawberries. In this case, there are not so many varieties to choose from, however, if you wish, you can find decent options.
Strawberry Roxanne was bred in Italy at the beginning of the century.
- Today, few gardeners still know about it, although the variety has its advantages:
- significant berry size (up to 100 g);
- dessert flavor;
- impressive yield (up to 1.2 kg per bush).
Roxana has compact bushes, covered with many leaves and inflorescences. The berries of the variety differ not only in size, but also in color - red with a glossy tint. Their shape is oblong, conical. The fruits ripen almost simultaneously, however, after the first harvest, they are a little smaller. Roxana is great for growing "in the fall", because the crop ripens even at low temperatures and poor lighting.
Did you know? Strawberries have been considered an aphrodisiac since ancient times. Therefore, in France, there was a tradition to cook newlyweds strawberry soup with cream before the wedding night.
This hybrid variety, bred in the Netherlands in 1977, is universal: Strawberry Shelf is perfect for fresh consumption, freezing and preservation.
Its characteristics include:
- leafy bushes up to 10-12 cm high;
- moderate amount of mustache;
- pubescent stems of medium size;
- dark green wrinkled leaves;
- bright red glossy berries weighing up to 55-60 g;
- pronounced berry aroma;
- pink flesh without voids.
Since the shelf perfectly tolerates transportation, and its berries have a rich caramel taste, the variety can often be found on sale.
Zenga Zengana - a variety of short light late ripening, bred in 1954 in Germany. Its main feature was the ability to grow crops at 10-12 hours of daylight, but at the same time it bears fruit only once a season. Zenga is resistant to cold and does not suffer from excess moisture during rains.
Productivity fluctuates at a loss of 1.2-1.5 kg per bush. The variety has small cone-shaped berries, the weight of which often does not exceed 9-10 g. Painted in a dark red shade, they have a sweet and sour taste.
Fruits grow on tall compact bushes with a bright green color, in which the development of the mustache does not differ in activity. Zenga requires prevention from gray rot and spotting, however, it is resistant to a number of other diseases characteristic of strawberries.
Important! Thanks to the dense peel, Zenga strawberry perfectly tolerates freezing and does not lose shape when preserved.
Removable strawberries are very popular because they are able to produce crops two or more times per season. Read more about the best representatives of this category.
From May to the start of frost, the Temptation hybrid can bear fruit. Strawberries of this variety have a nutmeg taste and juicy, dense pulp. Berries weighing up to 30 g ripen on long peduncles, which gives an aesthetic appeal to the bushes. Therefore, Temptation is often used in decorative floriculture both on the site and in pots.
The yield of the bush reaches 1.5 kg per season, and the first batch usually ripens within 2 months after transplanting. If desired, strawberries Temptation can be grown throughout the year, because it minimally depends on the length of daylight hours.
Did you know? Temptation is great for growing on balconies and vertical landscaping.
Gardeners love Geneva for stable fruiting under any conditions. The variety begins to bear fruit in early June, after which it rests for 2-3 weeks. During this period, mustaches (5-8 pieces) are formed on the bushes, which do not require regular removal.
When planning to grow Geneva, it is worth considering that her flower stalks are tilted, so it is important to ensure that the berries do not lie on the ground, otherwise they will quickly begin to deteriorate.
With proper care, fruits of the same size (50-60 g) ripen on one bush, however, when the crop is re-formed, they become smaller.
The strawberries taste sweet in Geneva, but not sugary. It has an original truncated cone shape and a pleasant aroma.
The disadvantages of the variety include susceptibility to gray rot and a short life cycle: it is advisable to transplant it every 3 years.
This strawberry is famous for its significant size - 50-60 g, and in some cases 110-120 g. However, large berries appear only in the first year, after which the plantings need to be replaced.
Important! But experienced gardeners note the complex propagation of the variety as a significant drawback. Queen Elizabeth is not as active in her tendrils as other strawberry varieties. To provoke their growth, you have to remove the ovaries and buds on the bush.
- The variety was registered in 2001 and today is known for its advantages:
- fruiting from May to October in the presence of suitable conditions;
- excellent survival after planting;
- disease resistance;
- ability to survive frosts down to -23 ° С;
- 1 bush can produce up to 1.5 kg of fruit per season;
- berries perfectly tolerate transportation.
Strawberry Planting Technology
Choosing the right strawberry variety is just the first step to growing it.
In general, the algorithm for obtaining a rich berry crop is as follows:
- Preparing quality seedlings. It can be purchased, or can be grown from existing plantings with the help of a mustache.
- Choosing the right time to land. The timing depends on the variety, as well as on when the harvest is planned. Landing in the southern regions is typical in spring at the beginning of March, and in autumn - closer to the end of October, when the land is quite wet.
- Selection and preparation of beds. When determining the place for future plantings, it is important to consider the characteristics of the variety. But regardless of the variety, strawberries prefer soils peeled from weeds and fertilized with compost, ash, etc.
- Planting seedlings. The best time for this is a cloudy day or a non-hot evening. For strawberries, they make holes to the depth of the root, and the distance between them is 30-50 cm. The roots of the seedling are straightened and the bush is set so that the growth point is at a level with the ground. Sprinkle the planted bush with a nutritious mixture (take 1 bucket of manure and compost for 1 bucket of land, as well as 2 glasses of ash).
- Landing care. These include mulching young bushes and top dressing 2 weeks after planting.
Rules for the care of strawberries in the Krasnodar Territory
On the territory of the Krasnodar Territory there are all conditions for almost year-round cultivation of strawberries. There is enough heat and moisture, so the first crop ripens almost without watering. However, for flowering and harvest in August, additional hydration plays a significant role.
As for the choice of soil, it is better to give preference to light soils. It is permissible to grow young trees in the aisles. The agricultural technique of growing this crop in the Krasnodar Territory does not differ from the standard. Since this is a subtropic zone, the timing of autumn planting is delayed: sometimes favorable weather can last until the beginning of winter.
Although practice shows that bushes planted in mid-October show the best results, winter soil preparation includes only weeding and cultivation, as well as treatment from pests and diseases (if necessary).
Harvesting and storage
Each berry has its own ripening dates. They can vary depending on the weather in the current season, so it is better to determine the maturity of strawberries by the condition of the ovaries. They harvest strawberries every other day, and if there are a lot of plantings, the weather is hot, then every day.
To better store the berry, it is worth remembering the following rules:
- picking strawberries along with the stem; if possible, it is best done with scissors;
- during the collection of berries it is better to immediately sort them into large, small and spoiled, but suitable for consumption or processing;
- it is undesirable to transfer it from container to container;
- for storage of berries it is better to use flat containers (containers, boxes), where they store no more than 2-3 rows of products;
- often trash or sand is found on the strawberries, which is better to shake off with a small brush, because if you do this with your hands, the risk of damaging the berry is greater;
- do not wash strawberries before long-term storage.
Important! The berry is considered ready for collection when it is completely red, but has not yet lost its elasticity.
Growing strawberries in the Krasnodar Territory is not easy, but the climatic conditions of the region contribute to the formation of a rich harvest. If desired, among the varieties proposed in the article, you can choose suitable varieties of berries with different ripening periods, and then the strawberry season will be almost uninterrupted.