Features of the use of asparagus beans
For asparagus beans, young immature pods that are not yet coarsened, have a soft and delicate structure. Therefore, this bean is also called green or green. In fact, the color of the pods can be not only green, but also yellow, purple.
Calorie content and nutritional value
The calorie content of green beans depends on the variety and is 23–31 kcal / 100 g.Nutrition value and BZHU in 100 g of vegetables are as follows:
- proteins - 2.5 g;
- fats - 0.3 g;
- carbohydrates - 3 g;
- organic acids - 0.1 g;
- dietary fiber - 3.4 g;
- water - 90 g;
- ash - 0.7 g.
|The presence of minerals:||Vitamin content:|
|potassium - 260 mg;||A - 0.067 mg;|
|calcium - 65 mg;||A - 0.067 mg;|
|magnesium - 26 mg;||B1 - 0.1 mg;|
|sodium - 2 mg;||B2 - 0.2 mg;|
|phosphorus - 44 mg;||B5 - 0.2 mg;|
|iron - 1.1 mg;||B6 - 0.16 mg;|
|Manganese - 0.216 mg;||B9 - 0.036 mcg;|
|copper - 0.069 mg;||C - 20 mg;|
|selenium - 0.0006 mg;||E - 0.3 mg;|
|fluorine - 0.019 mg;||K - 0.0144 mg;|
|zinc - 0.24 mg.||PP - 0.9 mg;|
|niacin - 0.5 mg.|
Did you know? The vast majority of string beans is grown by the Chinese (70%). The largest exporter is Kenya.
What is useful asparagus beans
- The usefulness of immature pods is as follows:
- They do not accumulate harmful substances from the environment.
- The hormonal background in men and women is aligned.
- Positive effect on the genitourinary system, remove "excess" water.
- They serve as a source of vitamins and minerals, contain easily digestible vegetable protein and carbohydrates, and are included in baby food.
- They are low-calorie and accelerate metabolism, which makes this product useful in diet and weight loss.
- Recommended for diabetics, as they have a low glycemic index (15). In addition, glucokinin and arginine contain an insulin-like substance.
- Useful for anemia.
- They increase immunity and have an expectorant effect.
- They have anti-inflammatory effect, useful for arthritis and asthma, intestinal infections.
- They contain antioxidants that slow down aging and prevent the onset of cancer.
- Remove toxins from the body.
- Improve the digestive tract and liver.
- Lower cholesterol. Their regular consumption is the prevention of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- They contribute to improving the appearance, as their use positively affects the skin.
- Good effect on the nervous system, helps with stress and fatigue, headache.
Can i eat
Asparagus beans have their own characteristics of consumption in different conditions.
Did you know? Beans were introduced in the 16th century by Columbus and were originally grown by Europeans as an ornamental plant. In Russia, beans were initially planted exclusively on flower beds.
Asparagus beans are good for women who are expecting a baby. It contains folic acid, which is very important for the development of the fetus during this period, and other necessary substances. At the same time, she will not allow the expectant mother to gain extra pounds and will help with low hemoglobin. However, pregnant women should not abuse it and eat only green pods. Nutrition should be complete and varied.It should also be noted that this product may cause increased gas formation. To avoid this condition, it is best to sprinkle a dish with asparagus beans, green dill.
Asparagus beans have a good effect on the quantity and composition of milk. But since the product is a source of increased gas formation, it is better to refrain from it for the first 3 months after childbirth, when the baby's digestive system is just getting better. This product can cause a baby to have colic.The vegetable is hypoallergenic, but at first it is better for a nursing mother to eat a small amount of pods and follow the baby’s reaction. If allergic reactions and increased gas formation are not observed, then you can include this product in your diet.
Did you know? The first to consume green beans were Italians in the 17th century. They tried immature pods and found them suitable for food. Over time, a variety was developed with a more delicate structure of the pods, which was called "French".
When losing weight
To "eliminate" extra pounds, it is recommended to cook asparagus beans for a couple or boil.It is better to exclude the canned product from the diet, as it may contain sugar, salt and flavoring additives in the marinade, which increase calorie content and adversely affect metabolism.
It also increases frying, as the vegetable absorbs fat. When losing weight, other foods that contribute to the normalization of body weight should be included in your diet along with asparagus beans. Usually it is recommended to consume eggs, low-fat meat and fish, other low-calorie vegetables, yoghurts and kefir, tomato juice and herbal teas, bran breads.
With various diseases
String beans will be beneficial for diseases such as arthritis and rheumatism, asthma, infectious diseases, pneumonia and bronchi, atherosclerosis and heart disease, high blood pressure, and obesity.
This product is great for diabetics.and they can include green beans in their daily menu. Pods help lower blood sugar. This product is used in folk medicine to treat diabetes. From pods (50 g) make a decoction of 1 liter of water or insist night in a thermos. Drink, before eating, 1 cup of broth.
Important! A diabetic should coordinate his diet and treatment with alternative methods with the attending physician.
Basic rules for using the product
For children, asparagus beans can be added to the diet from 10 months. In this case, you need to make sure that the baby has no violations of the gastrointestinal tract. This product is better absorbed by the body than regular beans. For young children, boiled beans are added to mashed potatoes or given as independent food in small portions.Vegetable soup is very useful for children.
Doctors recommend including a green vegetable in the menu at least twice every 7 days. The product does not go well with potatoes, butter, nuts, cereals, bakery products. It is also not combined with cheese, cottage cheese, milk, fruits and sweets.These legumes are well compatible with sour cream, vegetable oil, vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cabbage, corn).
Do not eat asparagus beans at night. It contains many plant fibers that are difficult to digest. Therefore, it is advisable to consume these legumes at least 3 hours before bedtime. Vegetables can be steamed, boiled, and also pickled. Heat treatment is required, since the toxic substance feazin is in the pods. In addition, cooking the product reduces the content of purines.Fresh pods are boiled for 4–5 minutes, and frozen - 5–7 minutes.
The recommended daily intake for an adult is 200 g.
How to choose a quality product when buying
When buying fresh asparagus beans, you should pay attention to the following points:
- pods should be elastic, bend well;
- any damage is excluded, as well as spots of a dark or dark green color;
- the fibers should not be coarse;
- if the pods are very wet or excessively dry, they should not be taken.
When purchasing a frozen product, you need to choose legumes in the package. This will guarantee that the beans are washed and should not be washed again. The pods in the pack should not be stuck together, without pieces of ice, and also have an even green color.
Important! The presence of ice indicates that the product was subject to repeated freezing, which significantly reduces the quality of the goods.
Contraindications and side effects
- Dishes from this bean culture can cause negative phenomena in the presence of such diseases:
- with gout, as part of the purines increase the content of uric acid in the body;
- gastritis with high acidity;
- pancreatic inflammation; violations in the digestive tract (inflammation, disorders);
- caution should be exercised in the presence of cholecystitis, colitis, cystitis, pyelonephritis;
- gastrointestinal ulcerative lesions.
How to store at home
Asparagus beans are not stored for long. Usually it is used immediately after purchase for culinary purposes. At room temperature, these legumes lose their freshness after 12 hours. This product is stored fresh for 2-3 days, and after a week the pods begin to turn yellow, dry and become hard. It is better to keep fresh asparagus beans in a refrigerator at a temperature of + 2 ° C and an air humidity of 85–90%. For 2-3 days, this vegetable can be kept in a cool cellar on a clean piece of cloth.For longer storage, it is better to freeze the pods.
To do this, they should be prepared as follows:
- wash and then dry on a towel;
- cut off on both sides of the base, and after, chop into pieces of equal length;
- put in a colander and dip in boiling water for a couple of minutes;
- then cool and lay on a towel that glass water.
Then placed in the freezer. The frozen product can be stored for 6 months. You can skip the blanching process in boiling water and freeze the product fresh. You can freeze a vegetable in a mixture with carrots, herbs, broccoli and other vegetable crops. It should be noted that during freezing, legumes lose only about 10% of useful elements.
Important! Re-freezing thawed asparagus bean pods is not recommended.